Social Work.


Our full time social worker is here to support you through taking the necessary steps forward in life.

This is a free, confidential and judgement-free service.



Level 1
207 Riddiford Street
Wellington 6021


contact and bookings

04 389 7122


We encourage you to pre-book appointments as the Social Worker is often out of the office.

If you cannot make your appointment, please call us as soon as possible so that the time can be given to another person.

Please call: 04 389 7122 or text 022 130 2551.


Vinnies in the Village:

We understand that transport and commuting into Newtown can often be a barrier for people seeking help. The Social Worker operates remotely every week from the following Community Centres:

Strathmore Park Community Centre
108 Strathmore Avenue
9:30am - 1:30pm
Every second Thursday

Newlands Community Centre
9 Batchelor Street
9am - 1pm
Every second Friday, alternating with Johnsonville

Johnsonville Community Centre
3 Frankmoore Avenue
9am - 1pm
Every second Friday, alternating with Newlands

What can the social worker help with?:

  • Advocacy: The Social Worker can advocate alongside you or on your behalf to agencies such as:

    • Work and Income

    • Ministry of Justice

    • Debt Collectors

    • Oranga Tamariki

    • Housing agencies

    • Immigration

  • Short and long term support for reaching  your goals.

  • Referrals to appropriate support services.

  • Budgeting advice.

  • General information and advice.

  • Interpreters: We support a wide variety of cultures and ethnicities. The social worker has access to interpreters to assist us with helping you.

  • Food, furniture and/or clothing assistance.

  • Home service support. 


What should I bring when meeting with the social worker?:

To make sure we can give you the right advice, please bring:

  • Recent decline letter from Work and Income showing you do not have any entitlement for the items you are seeking assistance for.

  • Recent breakdown of your benefit from Work and Income or wage slips.

  • Proof of bills and rent.

  • Proof of any debts.

  • Recent bank statement.

  • Any other relevant documents.

If you do not have any of the above documents, come in anyway and chat to our team to discuss other options.

Professional support to relieve the difficult situations and conditions of those in the community suffering from social issues.